Saturday, August 30, 2008

Forgiveness is the cure for racism

I grew up in the late '80's and early '90's. Every year on TV, there would be a TV movie about a civil rights leader who fought for the rights of Blacks. In my school every year the teachers would talk about the Black man who was lynched in my town 60 years ago. I learned over and over again that racism was bad and racists were always evil.

I became an adult and moved to the city and met some Black people. Some of the ones that I met were not nice to me because of my race. They would make comments like "The company she works for only hires White people." "Girl, you need to get a tan." Of course those comments really offended me, but I didn't say anything because I didn't want people to think that I was a racist.

I hear stories from Whites whose family members were killed by Black people. I have even heard the Blacks guilty of crimes were acquited by a Black jury. Can you imagine the hurt and anger that they must feel because their loved one was savaely murdered and the killer doesn't even go to prison? Even though it isn't right, I can understand why they would hate every Black person that they see.

Then maybe the Black people who made those offensive comments had experiences like this. Maybe that is why they hate every White person they see.

I think that a new message about racism needs to be said. Rather than we have got to love each other and not hate. We need to forgive the people who hurt us, so we can find peace. I believe that the White guy whose relative was murdered will only find peace if he forgives the killer. By hating every Black guy he sees, his heart will only focus on his relative's terrible murder, rather than the good memories he has of her. This man will be unable to move on with his life until he forgives. In this aspect, Blacks are just like Whites because they can choose to forgive or choose to hate.

Imagine what the US would be like if this message was preached. Rather than a false tolerance there would be real healing between the races.

"It is in pardoning, that we are pardoned." St. Francis of Assisi.

No comments: