Saturday, March 29, 2008

God seeking is essential---really

Before I became Catholic, I was a total flake. I didn't have any idea what truth was, so I accepted everything that I was told. When people don't want to find the truth, they accept lies.

I watched the TV news and news shows like 20/20 and Dateline and would believe the messages that they were saying. One false thing that the media says is that there are total victims in our society-like minorities and the poor and women. When bad things happen to them, there is nothing that they can do because they are always victims oppressed by the majority and powerful.

I wasn't alone in believing that message. Many people believe that they are always victims and they can't change their circumstances. They don't work and study and blame society when they are broke. They get involved in multiple abusive relationships and blame men for their suffering. The media sends these messages to make themselves look like they care and to get more viewers. Sometimes people want to believe in lies, so the media is not always at fault. I know that I liked to hear that the irresponsible things that I did wasn't my fault.

Well, I listened and believed the media for awhile, until I realized that my life isn't going anywhere and won't go anywhere. After I was disillusioned by the media, I started searching for God. I read in the Bible that Paul said that he learned to be content with whatever life he had, even if he was poor. I wanted to be like that, so I started praying to God to help me to be content with whatever life I had. I started working and studying, rather than just saying that I was a victim. This changed my life, and I have a full-time job with a salary that I can live on comfortably.

If I would have continued to believe that I was a helpless victim, I wouldn't do anything with my life. I am so glad that I found the truth and didn't continue to believe lies that would ruin me. I hope that anyone who believes that they cannot do anything about their problems will look for God. Only God can help them find the truth that will set them free.

No comments: