Thursday, March 13, 2008

Supermoralists are full of it.

You know those people who feel so great about themselves that they have to make everyone else feel like crap? You know the types. For Fundamentalist Christians, they will act like they are better than everyone else because they avoid TV and the movies because of their religous beliefs. Or on the people on the left who drive hybrids and make a show out of befriending minorities and make other people feel bad for not doing what they do. Both sets of people think that they are wonderful examples of their beliefs and think everyone should think and do as they do. You will see them debating with total strangers trying to get them to think like they do.

Their bragging always used to make me feel bad. I am a terrible Christian because I don't think that all moms should be stay-at-home moms. Maybe I don't really care about the environment because I am unwilling to spend part of my Saturday driving miles to recycle my trash. Am I a racist because I don't want to talk to one Black person. Is is racist to feel this way? Now I don't even pay attention to what they say because I have seen true goodness.

I have seen a priest give the Eucharist to a dying person. Dying people don't really matter in our society; we say that they do, but we don't really mean it. Oftentimes, I have seen nursing home residents who never recieve visitors, even during Christmas. Then this priest comes in and gives these patients a little wafer, which is supposed to be the body of Jesus. He does this wonderful thing and he is really humble about it. Rather than bragging about himself, he keeps giving and then goes on his way. Giving dying people hope did more good than recycling, befriending minorities, or avoiding Godless movies, yet this guy will never be recognized or given the credit that supermoralists are always craving.

No comments: